Thursday, June 11, 2015

Protect Yourself

Today is one of those hypocracy is everywhere days. This means set boundaries, turn off all triggering stuff. Also, protect yourself. Especially online.

In the past, I used to have the attitude of it's my job to save the world. Then I hit a certain point where I said, no it's not. Thru necessity I've learned a lot about online and personal security. While I don't live in downtown Baghdad, I still keep these in mind in a good way.

Most online sites have some type of block feature. My attitude is be preemptive in using it. If you believe that a lot of trolls are coming from a certain area, block them first. Like any other sane and rational person, I don't have the time or patience to deal with that. Instead, just block them and move on.

Another idea. Unless it's a paying job, it's not your responsibility to save the world. Yes, some well known activist can make speeches saying we have a duty to make things better. While that may be true, your personal well being comes first. I try to not pre judge people. But many times my intuition is saying, what do they REALLY want?

Screen everything and have a good day.

No comments: