Monday, November 19, 2012

The Effects of Torture (Contains graphic content that might be triggering to trauma survivors. Read at your own risk)

We try really hard to stick to our "no progressive political content" rule on this blog. However, in this case we need to break it. Always for a good reason, though.

For whatever reason, there are lots of people out there online who have the idea that torture is okay. It's the real world. They do it to us. So why the hell shouldn't we do it to them? The first impressions you get reading this are:

These people have never been through any trauma in their lives
They've never travelled outside their local area?
They refuse to critically examine and think for themselves

In short, they have no clue about what they're talking about. Doesn't this violate the "Terms of Service" agreement that sites have about "objectionable" content? Oh, sorry. This is "freedom of speech". Right.

You can say whatever the hell you want with no worries about the consequences.

Trust me. Speaking as a rape survivor, torture doesn't work. Torture will make you do and say anything you have to to survive. I can't believe in 2012 I actually have to spell that out. But apparently I do.

Because of being raped (which isn't my fault), many want nothing to do with me. I can say that I'm a rape survivor in a room full of people. How many would then walk up to me and give me a reassuring hug? Realistically, not many (if anyone at all).

Why?

Is it because I'm their worst nightmare? Is it because they just don't have time in their busy schedules to take ten seconds and show some basic human decency? I know that you can't make anyone do anything. That being said, human beings with emotions aren't light switches. Right. Got raped by two pedophiles. Time to toughen up. Off you go. Carry on.

It doesn't work like that.

Whether it's someone walking down the street or an innocent person at Guantanemo, everyone deserves to be heard. Everyone.

No comments: